Thursday, March 24, 2011

Political Opinions from A Few Artists I Respect

Edwidge Danticat and Raoul Peck weigh in on the current political atmosphere in Haiti and speculate about what comes next. Of course I STAN for Edwidge, her books alone made me reeeeally consider getting an MFA in writing. Beyond her gifts of imagery and transporting you to her settings and among her characters, her genuine love and respect for her people is always apparent. (More on her here). Raoul Peck is a filmmaker who I also admire. He grew up in the Democratic Republic of Congo as a result of the end of the Belgian colonialism and the need of French-speaking black professionals, like Peck's parents. Of his work, I have recently seen Lumumba, about the Congolese nationalist and activist Patrice Lumumba. (Peck's IMDB page).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tropicana- Limonade

Coupe Cloue

Coupe Cloue
Le Roi

Ti Bom (Mon Konpe)